Maya Troll Lip Sync Session 2

Thursday 9th April 2015

Session Review

Quick render of the trolls lip sync
During today's session I returned to the troll character I obtained from animation 101 and began to search for additional visual references, still currently from the Lord of the Ring trilogy. In particular, I found a scene from the Fellowship of The Ring where the character Sauruman talks to his newest Uruk-hai creation Lurtz. The studied the facial expressions in Lurtz's the face was magnificent since I observed how his nostrils flared open when he said the name "SARUUMAAN"; furthermore, as each letter was delayed his head tilted back slightly and rose up displaying he takes great pride in saying this name.

After making my observations of Lurtz I returned to the troll model in Maya and looked under the list of rigged features and sadly the character had no nostrils and currently to my knowledge I cannot find any toll to animate his cheeks. I returned to the scene of Saruman speaking to Lurtz and to help visually break down the word I drew his facial expressions as he pronounced each letter.


I also used my previous 2d lip sync as a visual guide of what frames to draw and the duration for a letter. This a good decision to make since when I prepare to fully animate the 3d troll I will use the 2d frame as a visual reference and step by step guide.

References

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGh9ARUI_s

By Sebastian Jones

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2d Orc Sword Slash

Red Hulk Run Cycle Revisit

Max Upper Cut Animation